Gifts that May Reduce Your Taxes

Gifts that may reduce your taxes

There are a variety of ways to continue your support for Children International — and show children a path out of poverty — that may help to reduce your income taxes, estate taxes and capital gains taxes.

Gifts of stock: Stocks, bonds, and mutual funds that have appreciated in value are among the best ways to help break the cycle of poverty. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.

Retirement plan: Retirement plan gifts are a popular gift option for many Children International supporters. Because retirement plans are taxed differently than most assets, they may actually become a tax liability. Naming Children International a beneficiary of your retirement account can be an attractive option for leaving a legacy and reducing income and possibly estate taxes for your loved ones.

Naming Children International as a beneficiary of your retirement assets generates no income taxes. Children International is tax exempt and eligible to receive the full amount, bypassing any income taxes. This means, for example, that a $100,000 IRA given to Children International will be worth the full $100,000. To learn more about an IRA Rollover Gift, please visit this page.

Contact your plan’s administrator to specify Children International as a beneficiary. Our Federal Tax ID Number is 44-6005794.

Life insurance plan: A gift of life insurance is an affordable way to make a significant gift for Children International while also enjoying tax savings during your lifetime. Benefits include:

  • You can give a significant gift at a fraction of the value.
  • Tax savings can be immediately realized.
  • Your donation could reduce final taxes of your estate.
  • Insurance gifts pass outside of the estate.

Gifts of real estate: You may decide that the greatest gift you can make is to leave your home or other property to Children International. This kind of gift is ideal for someone who intends to continue living in their home or property through their lifetime, but still make a charitable gift.

You can leave this generous gift by signing an agreement with Children International about maintaining the property so you can use it throughout your lifetime. You may even receive a tax deduction for your gift.

For more information, please contact, or if you have questions, please contact Robert King, J.D. at 816.943.3837.